Nutty ‘Protein’ Balls
‘Protein’ balls, ‘bliss’ balls ‘date & nut’ balls… what ever you like to call them, these are a delicious nutritious energy snack for any time of the day!
I like to make them in bulk and keep them in the fridge for snack options. They travel well for picnics, after school snacking and energy for the gym. My husband takes these to work and has them in his desk drawer for a sweet mid afternoon snack!
You can vary the nuts and seeds to your tastes, just add a little extra peanut butter if you think the mixture isn’t binding well.
Recipe by Dr Chintal Patel
- 180gms medjool dates
- 60gms linseeds
- 60gms pumpkin seeds
- 60gms sunflower seeds
- 250gms mixed nuts – I used almonds, walnuts & cashew nuts
- 50gms peanut butter
- 50gms cacao powder
- First, remove and discard the stones from the dates & set aside for later
- Next grind the linseeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflour seeds to a coarse powder – this step is optional but it will help the mix combine better
- Add the nuts to the food processor and grind them to a coarse powder too
- Finally, mix all the ingredients into the food processor and process in 30 second bursts until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs that are starting to stick together
- This will only take about 2-3 minutes
- Remove from processor
- Roll into balls or press them into a lego mould… they taste just as good in either form!
- I find these are sweet enough for my tastes but if you like them a little sweeter try adding a tablespoon or 2 of honey or maple syrup to the mix.
- Top tip – if it’s not binding, add a little more peanut butter
- Top tip – pop the moulds into the freezer for 30 minutes before popping out for perfect lego shapes.